Global Environmental Protection is a Way to the Sustainability of Life on the Earth
This master´s degree programme is offered to students interested in the environmental protection of all major components of the Earth, with strong focus on the role of sustainable agriculture and forestry in the soil, water and air preservation, and the application of environmentally friendly remedial technologies to improve their quality and properties.
The global growth of goods production and consumption, as well as increased standard of living in last centuries led to the significant exploitation of natural resources through the application of cheap technologies causing the contamination of soil, water, and air. The intensification of agriculture and forestry production adversely impacted the environment, as well as the health of population. The movement of society to the greener and healthier environment and several signed international agreements officially open doors for new jobs and positions in this field. University graduates having deep knowledge about soil properties, plant responses to soil and water storage, as well as about soft and hard technologies to clean the environment can easily find jobs in a wide spectrum of positions.
is suitable for you if:
- like to use and apply biological and chemical principles to understand the environment,
- want to get knowledge about soil, plant, and water and their interactions in the environment,
- are interested in environmental protection and sustainable development,
- want to know how to improve quality of soil, water and air,
- like to join international students’ group,
- like to study and get experience from two internationally recognised universities,
- want to live in two beautiful cities Prague and Vienna and explore the countryside of Central Europe.
What will be my career opportunities?
You will have flexible career opportunities in the international and national organisations which take care about environment, protection of water, soil and air, and about the remediation of contaminants. You can apply for positions
- Managers of governmental and municipal organisations responsible for the environmental protection.
- Managers of state and private companies involved in the monitoring and evaluation of environmental pollution.
- Managers of state and private companies carrying out remediation and restoration of brownfields and damaged sites.
- Independent advisors in international watch organisations
The master´s programme is designed as a joint degree programme of the Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague (“CZU”) and the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria (“BOKU“) in which both universities jointly award a Master of Science in Natural Resources Management and Ecological Engineering (N-NARMEEM). This joint programme offers unique education and research opportunities at the individual departments of both universities. Students enrolled in this programme are very flexible, and can build their own study profile. Students enrolled at CZU have to spend at least one semester at BOKU to sign up for the offered subjects or for laboratory work with their co-supervisor.
Students acquire deep knowledge in the management of major natural resources, including their restoration. Apart from the major compulsory subjects, they can build their own minor specialization by the selection of optional subjects. The topics for Diploma thesis are closely related to the international and national research projects. Thesis are completed under the supervision of the supervisor from CZU and co-supervisor from BOKU. Thesis defense takes place at CZU in front of a committee consisting of staff from both universities.