The XVII European Ichthyological Congress was held under the auspices of the European Ichthyological Society (EIS) from 4 to 8 September 2023 at the Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague.
The event was organized by the Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources, ČZU in collaboration with colleagues from the Faculty of Science, Charles University and the Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics, Czech Academy of Sciences.
A wide range of topics in the form of lectures and posters were shared by over two hundred ichthyologists from six continents with most attendees arriving from European countries.
Plenary lectures were given by eminent personages in their fields:
- Marcelo de Bello Cioffi (Federal University of Sao Carlos)
- Kathryn Elmer (University of Glasgow)
- Jörg Freyhof (Museum für Naturkunde, Leibniz Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity Science in Berlin)
- Jens Krause (Humboldt University Berlin)
- Anthi Oikonomou (Hellenic Centre for Marine Research)
- Martin Reichard (Institute of Vertebrate Biology of the CAS)
- Emilia Santos (University of Cambridge)
Prof. Ing. Lukáš Kalous, Ph.D. (CZU) was elected to the six-member EIS Committee by the general assembly during the congress.
The participants praised the pleasant atmosphere of the ČZU campus and Suchdol was in the spotlight of the ichthyological world.
On behalf of the organizing team, a warm thanks goes out to our colleagues from the Faculty, the Circle Hall and the Library for their help in making the congress a success.
Lukáš Kalous, Miloslav Petrtýl (Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources, ČZU)