The University and Faculty’s history began with the founding of the Agricultural department at the Czech Technical University in Prague in 1906, by decree of the emperor Franz Joseph. Professor Stoklasa, a leading figure in agricultural sciences at that time was appointed as the first Dean.
The University was established as an independent body by governmental decree on July 8th 1952. The Faculty of Agronomy, as it was known at that time, was one of three founding faculties in this new University. Since then, the Faculty has been the main centre for the education and training of experts, mainly for agricultural enterprises, research, and state administrations.
More recently, the Faculty extended its focus, and in 2005 changed its name to the Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources (FAFNR). This change in name characterises the shift from primarily agricultural education and research to a broader focus comprising newly emerging issues in natural resources management and food quality.
Today, the Faculty of Agrobiology, Food and Natural Resources is a modern and respected educational and scientific institution, which accommodates more than 4000 students and 300 employees, with a strong position at home and abroad.
Graduates of the faculty are employed in agriculture, horticulture, animal breeding, crop protection, quality of agricultural products, agribusiness, natural resources management, waste management, landscape architecture, rural development, and other areas of importance for the national economy. Our graduates are finding jobs not only as managers, but can work in state administration, research and higher education institutions or as private entrepreneurs.